24 March 2011

The Ultimate Comfort Food: Bread Pudding

It's officially spring now, the sun is out more often and flowers are blooming. There's no longer a need for warm, creamy, comforting foods. Haha, yeah right. I don't know if it's human nature, female nature or Miranda nature, but no matter the weather, sometimes I just need some food to console me.

I was feeling that the other day, but when I looked in the fridge, I'll I saw was a bag of old bread crumbs. They were left over from a loaf of GF bread that I'd made over Christmas. I'd eaten half, frozen half, then recently thawed it and nibbled on it for a few days. Believe me, it looked less than appetizing, all dry and crumbly in a wrinkled ziplock bag. I almost threw it out, but then two words popped into my head that changed my life: (Ok, fine. They didn't really change my life at all, they just changed what I was going to eat that day... but just go with me.)

BREAD PUDDING.

(And there was much rejoicing.)

I didn't grow up eating bread pudding, in fact, I'd only had it once or twice in my whole life, and I'd definitely never made it. I really have no idea why it came to me that day, but I'm so glad it did. I got on the internet and pulled up a regular bread pudding recipe on AllRecipes.com.

I tweaked it to fit my diet and adjusted the measurements since I only had a few bread crumbs left. Five minutes later it was in the oven, filling the house with the smell of vanilla and cinnamon.

I was really pleased with how it turned out. Crispy and golden on the outside, creamy and moist on the inside. The only problem was that it didn't make enough. For some reason it only lasted one day...

I cut it into cubes and poured a generous amount of coconut milk on top. (How did I used to survive without coconut milk?)

Someday I'll make this again and take it to a friend's house or have people over for dessert. This time, though, I had no problem eating it all by myself.

Gluten Free Bread
2 cups buckwheat flour
1 cup rice flour
2 1/2 cups water
2 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs whisked

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl and then combine with wet ingredients. Stir together. Place in a greased bread tin and bake at 375F for 45-50 minutes or until center is fully cooked.


Bread Pudding
Put 3 cups day old/leftover GF bread pieces and crumbles in bottom of a loaf pan
Drizzle 2 Tbsp melted coconut oil or ghee on top of bread.

In a bowl, beat 3-4 eggs. Then, add 2 cups coconut milk, 2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp vanilla extract and stevia to taste. Mix well and pour over bread pieces. Push bread into egg mixture so it's saturated. Bake at 350F for 45 minutes, or until bread is lightly browned on top and spongy when you touch it.

Let bread cool, then cut into 1-2 inch cubes. Fill dessert bowls with cubes and pour plenty of full fat coconut milk on top. Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve.

2 comments:

  1. mmm that looks so warm and comforting.
    I could use some of that right now. spring over? it snowed here in ny today.. blleegh!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gluten free bread is that simple to make? I even have all the ingredients. Thanks Miranda. :)

    ReplyDelete