09 March 2011

Squash Latke with Poached Egg and Avocado

Another delightful spaghetti squash breakfast...

I've got to be honest with you, though, it's not exactly a latke. I may have just chosen a word other than pancake since I recently posted a spaghetti squash pancake recipe. :) And I really like that word. Latke, latke, latke.

Real latkes are potato pancakes eaten during Hanukkah, and they're made from potato, flour and egg. This recipe doesn't use potato, flour or egg. Also...I don't own a dreidel. (I'm a latke-making phony.)

It's really just a savory version (seasoned with basil, oregano, rosemary) of my cinnamon spaghetti squash pancakes, minus the egg. I took the egg out of the cakes this time because I wanted to try my hand at poaching. I LOVE poached eggs, but I've only ever used an egg poaching pan, instead of plain old boiling water. My inspiration came from Alex's post about how easy it is to poach an egg. I had to try.

Following her directions to a T resulted in two perfectly poached eggs. It was sooo easy. The smooth and buttery poached egg complimented the salty, crispy latke so well. And as always, adding an avocado took this meal into breakfast bliss.

Fake latke or not, this is probably what I'll be eating in the Promised Land. After all, I won't be able to eat the milk and honey. :)

1 comment:

  1. This really looks delicious! When can you come over to fix us breakfast?

    ReplyDelete