21 March 2011

Coconut Cauliflower Channa Masala

Last night, I made a Trader Joes run. I am in love with that grocery store. Almost as much as I'm in love with Aldi. :)

By the way, did you know that the owners of TJ and Aldi are brothers? I read it on Wikipedia, so it's true. I'll explain my love for Aldi sometime, but for now, I'll share with you one of my favorite things from TJ:

Since I work full time and usually cook for one, it's great to have easy, healthy lunch/dinner options. Most frozen and prepackaged foods have ingredient lists a mile long (not to mention that they're usually full of several kinds of sugars). Thankfully, TJ has some great single serving meals that are good for you, like this Channa Masala. This is what's in it: onions, tomatoes, chickpeas, water, canola oil, spices, ghee, garlic, salt, cilantro, mango powder, turmeric and bay leaves. Not one single chemical. I like it as is (prepared according to box instructions) on top of quinoa, rice or by itself. The other night, however, I got a little more creative.

The picture really doesn't do it justice, but it tasted (and smelled) amazing. It was super easy, delicious and filling.

Here's what I did:

Dump frozen (or thawed) contents of plastic container into pan. Heat on low until fully thawed (if frozen to start). Once thawed, add 1/2-1 can coconut milk, 1-2 cups cauliflower (or zucchini, green cabbage, bell peppers, etc.). Add cayenne pepper to taste.

Brings a whole new meaning to the term "frozen dinners" doesn't it?

2 comments:

  1. Love bulking up prepackaged foods with extra veggies. Works great with canned refried beans too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so pumped you started a blog...and I am totally with you on the Aldi love! :)

    ReplyDelete