14 March 2011

Grain-free Muffins

I didn't know if I'd be able to enjoy baked goods when I changed my diet. Then I discovered food blogs. :) The tubes of the internet are just bursting with gluten/dairy/sugar free baked goods. It's amazing and encouraging just how many people out there are eating similarly to me. I've already linked to a few on certain posts, but soon, I'll have a list of some of my favorite blogs that have been so helpful in giving me ideas of what to eat and cook.
This past weekend, I successfully created two kinds of breads made without any grains. My roommates can attest to the fact that, even though I've been cooking and experimenting with this diet for months, I still become giddy and smiley when one of my made up recipes turns out. I'll call it the "baker's high", like the infamous runner's high (which I get too), but even better because you get something to eat out of the process.
When the weather is cold, gray and rainy, like it is in Nashville today, it's pretty much essential to have something warm, soft and filling to eat. I don't have a picture of the breads that I made yet, but I'll post some the next time I make them (which could be tomorrow).
The two different muffins above represent flavors that I will keep going back to when baking: rich, dark, chocolate and light, refreshing lemon. Below I've posted the Chocolate Grain-free Muffin and the Lemon Chia Seed Muffin recipes. My favorite addition to any of these baked goods is to spread creamy almond or coconut butter and sprinkle a heavy dose of cinnamon on top. That, my friends, is one great way to cure those cloudy Monday blues.

Chocolate Grain-free Muffins
In one bowl, mix these wet ingredients:

4 Tbsp ghee, melted

3 eggs

1/2 cup full fat coconut milk

1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp lemon juice

In a different bowl, stir together these dry ingredients:
1 cup ground flax
1 cup almond flour
3 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp sea salt
stevia to taste
Then, blend the dry into the wet ingredients and let rest 5 minutes. Add 1/3 cup of water to loosen up the batter, so the muffins will be moist. Pour into a well greased muffin pan, and bake at 350F for 18-20 minutes. Stick in a toothpick and once it comes out clean, they're done!
Lemon Chia Seed Muffins
3/4 cup coconut flour
3 eggs
1/4 cup coconut oil
3/4 cup coconut milk (I used So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverage, unsweetened)
2 tsp vanilla

2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda
1 Tbsp chia seeds
zest of one lemon
stevia to taste

Soften coconut oil or butter and blend wet ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients. Then, combine all ingredients together until smooth. Pour into greased or lined muffin tin and bake at 350F for 18-20 minutes.

2 comments: