11 March 2011

Ham, Spinach and Onion Quiche

Breakfast and brunch are two of my favorite meals (lunch and dinner are my other two favorites). Unfortunately, many of the yummy brunch foods that I used to enjoy have sugar, wheat, and cheese in them. It would be easy to feel sorry for myself, imagining a future of mornings alone in my room with a bowl of lettuce, while my friends and family fill themselves with cinnamon rolls, baked brie and mimosas.

Fortunately, lettuce is not my future (I mean, I like lettuce and all, but it ain't no comfort food). There are so many amazing foods bursting with flavor that I get to eat! Speaking of lettuce, did you know that swiss chard has a buttery texture and a natural saltiness? And it's beautiful! Look at some, or (even better) buy some, next time you're at the grocery store.

Sorry, I'm getting off topic now...back to breakfast. How about I stop with the words and show you more pictures of what I eat for brunch.

Quiche! My friend Courtney had a b'day recently, and she had the brilliant idea of having a brunch themed dinner party. So I whipped up this little beauty. By "whipped up" I mean, I was in the kitchen for about an hour trying to decide what to make and then modifying recipes to create something I could eat (but I love doing that stuff). Now that it's created, it's a super quick recipe that can be whipped up. :)

It has a millet crust, eggs, spinach and sweet onion. The ham isn't really ham at all, it's actually a couple of these (I'm not a big fan of pork).


Here's the brunch-loving birthday girl (left) with another sweet friend, Ansley. It was such a fun night of friends and food! I may steal the idea for my next birthday...


Want to make this quiche? Here's how:

For the crust, follow
this recipe for bajra flatbread, only through the step that gets you a ball of dough. Press dough into the bottom of a quiche/pie baking dish. Bake for 10 minutes at 350F.

While the crust is baking, mix together:
3 eggs
1 cup full fat coconut milk
2 Tbsp coconut flour
1/2-1 cup chopped fresh spinach
1/2-3/4 cup ham, cut into small cubes (I used 2 uncured, all beef grass-fed organic hot dogs)
1/4-1/2 cup sweet onion, chopped

1-2 tsp italian seasoning mix (or oregano, basil, thyme, whatever flavor you like)
1/2 tsp sea salt

Then, pour egg/ham/spinach mixture over crust. Bake at 350F for 45 minutes, or when sides are brown.

2 comments: