03 March 2011

Cinnamon Spaghetti Squash Pancakes

When was the last time you saw the words "spaghetti" and "pancakes" in the same recipe? Yuck. Probably never, right?

But oh. You guys. These pancakes are anything but yuck. I didn't want to stop eating them, and now I can't wait to make them again. Guess what else? They're grain free!

Since I'm cutting back on all forms of sugar right now, I have to limit the sweeter squashes like butternut and acorn. Spaghetti squash has fewer natural sugars, so I have been experimenting with ways to use this incredible vegetable. If you haven't cooked a spaghetti squash before, you must try it! It's so fun to pull the baked squash out of the oven and scoop out the "pasta" from the inside. You can make all kinds of great mock pasta dishes with it, but currently, I'm loving using it for breakfast!

Wondering how to get from this yellow "pasta" to these soft and cinnamony pancakes?

Here 's how, in pictures:

First, the ingredients (plus a spaghetti squash, of course)...

Put the squash, egg, ground flax seeds, ground sunflower seeds (I ground them in my coffee grinder), cinnamon, vanilla extract (I used powder), stevia and sea salt into a bowl...

Then mix it altogether until it looks like pancake batter (it will have thickness/texture from the squash, but you want it to be liquidy enough to pour it onto the pan)...

Melt coconut oil or butter in a pan...and start making pancakes!

Flip over when you see the little bubbles appearing...

Perfecto. Buen provecho!


I ate them with coconut oil melted on top and more cinnamon sprinkled over that. It was delish (I love me some coconut oil!), but I bet almond butter or chocolate sauce would be amazing on these.


Anyone have any good (sugar/dairy free) ideas for topping off these pancakes?

5 comments:

  1. Rhubarb sauce!! Cover the rhubarb with water and cook to a "saucy" consistency--then add stevia to taste. I buy frozen rhubarb at Kroger.

    Moms

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must make these! How much of each ingredient did you use, or did you just kind of throw everything together?

    Toppings? Coconut cream (coconut flour + coconut milk) or maybe some ghee and tahini! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom, your rhubarb sauce is a great idea! That's one of the few fruits I CAN eat! Thanks. :)

    Heather, I'm so sorry that I don't have the measurements...that's going to be my biggest problem with posting food I make on this blog. I'll do my best to remember and add them, but let's definitely get together to make these. Then, I can write down exactly how much of everything to put in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog through our mutual friend, Annie. :) I'm a Nashvillian too!

    I've been making sweet spaghetti squash pancakes for a while now, and I love that you have an alternate recipe I can try. I love love love adding veggies to my pancakes - zucchini, carrots, beets, etc. It feels good knocking out a vegetable before noon, doesn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe was dissapointment for me. I would be curious to see it being made. I wonder how the dough is supossed to be liquidy when the ingredients are dry except for the egg and the squash little bit. I had to add milk to it to be able to pour it onto a pan. The measurements would surely help.

    ReplyDelete