19 August 2011

The Latest on the Raw Food Front

Thanks to Cafe Gratitude, I've been a bit obsessed with raw food cooking these days. Well, I guess it's technically not cooking....how about raw food creating. Sounds more untamed anyway. Here's what I've been up to concerning raw, live food:

What I'm currently reading...


I first saw this book at one of the vineyards during the wine country day of my San Francisco vacation. I took a picture so I wouldn't forget the title. When I got back to Nashville, I picked it up from the library. Libraries are magical places. I've only read a couple chapters of the book so far and skimmed some recipes. It appears that if I want to become serious about this fermenting thing, I need to get my hands on some crocks. Anybody out there have extra crocks they'd like to donate toward my cause? Crock. Haha, funny word.

What I'm currently eating...


Hearty Italian Bread by Raw Food Warrior, a new raw food company run by a local Nashville couple. They have a tent each week at the East Nashville Farmer's Market and that's where I first learned about and tasted their stuff. This "bread" is my favorite thing of theirs so far. It is definitely hearty and chocked full of raw nutty goodness.
 
Also eating...


Kale Artichoke Dip. I was dreaming up a raw version of the popular Spinach Artichoke appetizer, but I didn't have spinach on hand. I was really pleased with how this one turned out. It was also my first time soaking almonds, which I'm learning is better for digestion and maximizes the beneficial enzymes in nuts, seeds and grains. Can't beat that with a stick. This raw version doesn't really taste like the cheesey, baked original, but it's yummy, and a great way to sneak kale into your diet.


Raw Kale Artichoke Dip
2 cups chopped kale
1 cup artichoke hearts (i used TJ's frozen ones)
1 cup soaked almonds
2 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp spicy brown mustard
1 tsp italian seasoning
1/4 cup chopped onion
1-2 garlic cloves
juice from 1/2 a lemon
2 Tbsp olive oil 

Put soaked and drained almonds in your food processor and process until you have a course almond meal. Add the rest of the ingredients except for the olive oil. Blend until it's mixed well (for about 3 minutes). Then, slowly add the oil, little by little, until the dip is creamy. Eat with crackers or veggies.

Happy Friday! Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment