05 August 2011

(Flourless) Rosemary Garlic Crackers

These crackers might be one of my favorite things that I've ever made. A good cracker is hard to find (when you don't eat gluten, dairy or sugar).


This past weekend, my friend Christa came over to eat lunch and hang out. We threw all of the veggies that we each had on the table and combined them to make one beautiful salad. Here's a question that came up during one of our conversations: Is it really necessary to peel carrots? If they're washed, why do we have to peel them? Feel free to shed light on this if you know the answer. If no one knows the answer, then I vote to start eating the whole carrot. Who's with me?

After contemplating carrots, Christa and I moved on to more important subjects like relationships, herb gardening and Tae Bo. You know, the usual.


On top of the salad, we drizzled my favorite go-to dressing:

Garlic Ginger Dressing
2 Tbsp Braggs Liquid Aminos
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
One garlic clove, crushed
One small chunk of fresh ginger, chopped

Shake together, let it sit for a little while so all the flavors mix. Makes 1-2 servings.

After lunch, I told Christa she was welcome to stick around to personally witness the "Untamed Kitchen" in action. I've really been in experimenting mode recently, and I've had a few recipes floating around in my head that I wanted to try. The first was to make crackers out of nuts and seeds. A long time ago I saw this recipe that I'd been wanting to try, so I decided to base my experiment on it.


It was another one of those times that I became giddy like a little girl as I saw that my experiment was working out. The house smelled amazing as they baked and they tasted even better. It's tough to beat the rosemary/garlic/olive oil combo. There were a couple other gluten-eaters at my house that day besides Christa, and everyone was a fan of these crackers.


I stored them in a ziplock in the pantry for a few days and they stayed crispy until the end. They're definitely heartier than store-bought crackers, so they can almost become a meal in themselves--they're really filling. Here's how you make them:

Garlic Rosemary Crackers
1 cup raw almonds
1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
2 Tbsp flax seeds (I used flax seed meal)
1-2 Tbsp fresh rosemary
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp sea salt (or more to taste)
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 egg, beaten


Put everything except the oil and egg into your food processor and blend until it becomes a fine texture. Mix the oil and egg in a separate bowl, then add to food processor and mix together (my food processor has a "Dough" button that I used, but if it becomes to thick, you can remove it and mix it with a spoon). Next, roll the dough our between two pieces of parchment paper until it's about 1/8 of an inch thick. Lightly coat a pan with oil and bake at 300F for 35-40 minutes or until edges brown and center is crispy. Break into cracker-sized pieces.

You can also cut the dough before you bake it and make the crackers a uniform shape. I'm too lazy untamed to have square crackers though.

Happy Friday!

4 comments:

  1. You definitely don't need to peel carrots! Good vitamins are in the peel. Though I do recommend going organic with carrots, esp since they are a crop that sits in the ground so they are more susceptible to pesticide absorption.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only you could MAKE crackers.

    I've never known anyone else who MADE crackers.

    Also, Tae Bo? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you in not peeling carrots. Go untamed lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those crackers sound wonderful. You could mix up the spices and have a whole array of different types of crackers.

    I think peeling carrots is optional, like peeling potatoes.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete