12 August 2011

Cafe Gratitude


If you are ever in San Francisco and you are even just a little bit adventurous when it comes to food (meaning you like vegetables, flavor and can do without meat and potatoes for one meal), you must eat at Cafe Gratitude. It was so good that my friend Katie and I ate there twice...and that says a lot because San Francisco has some of the best restaurants in the country and we were there for only one week.

For me, it wasn't just the taste of the food--which was incredible--it was the intrigue of "how do they make that?" Half of the menu is cooked and half is raw. I'd never eaten at a raw food restaurant before, but after eating at CG, I'm sold. I'm amazed at what can be done without an oven or stove.



This wrap and salad was my first meal at CG. We went to their Healdsburg location because I had some friends (Hi Josh and Meg!) who live there and they hadn't tried the restaurant before. I ordered this wrap which is totally raw--bread and all. It's a "live" sandwich with almond pâté, carrot, lettuce, tomato, avocado and spicy mustard sauce on apple curry bread. Raw foods are described as "live" because they have maximum enzyme activity--which is helpful with digestion and overall nutrition. Cooking foods at high temps kills some of the beneficial enzymes and nutrients that whole foods offer.

So there's that.

There's also this freaking amazing apple curry wrap. It was delicious and super filling. I want to learn to make that bread. First, though, I need to save a couple hundred bucks for a fancy dehydrator. Probably won't happen any time soon...


As you can see below, the cafe is friendly, homey, colorful and spirited. In other words, it's hippie. And slightly new-agey. When we walked into the restaurant, the girl who seated us asked me, "How would you like to be acknowledged?" I stared at her blankly and said, "Uhhh, do I need to answer now, or can I think about it for a minute?" What I really meant was, "[eye roll] Oooooh boy."

But then, guess what? We sat down and started talking about things that we wanted to be acknowledged for. Go figure. Those thankful hippies showed me. (I've been learning not to be so cynical, but I'm kind of slow.) We had a great conversation about our jobs, our personalities and ways that we hoped to learn to be kinder and more hospitable. It was a memorable discussion that wouldn't have happened without the cheesy "ice breaker" question.


There is one other new-agey thing about the restaurant that's a little hard to take seriously. The names of the dishes. Have a look at the menu and you'll see what I mean. The wrap that I ordered is called, "I Am Nourished" and the raw pizza below (which was amazing) is "I Am Hearty." The names wouldn't be such a big deal, except when you order, it goes like this:


Server: What can I get for you?
Me: Umm, I'll have "I Am Nourished."
Server: [acknowledging head nod] "You Are Nourished."

Haha, I can't take it. All I wanna do is be like, "Helllloooo. I Am Hungry!" [Server head nod] "You Are Hungry..."

But the people that work there are soooo friendly and helpful and I really love most everything about this place.

They have beautiful and tasty desserts aplenty. I heard that their raw key lime "cheese"cake is to die for. I didn't have a chance to try it, but when I go back, I will for sure.


I did have a vegan cookie dough bar dipped in chocolate (that's not it's official name, but that's what it tastes like).


I'm completely in awe and inspired by what this cafe is doing. I've even been doing research (both online and in the kitchen) about raw food recipes. I will be sharing some of them soon!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds cool, but I could probably never eat there. I'd be laughing too hard the whole time.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks SO AMAZING. i think I could handle the hippy-ness, but it is really funny.

    ReplyDelete