27 June 2011

Scones, Muffins and Mr. Darcy

Some friends and I have a tradition that happens every 6 months or so of getting together on a Sunday morning in our sweatpants and pjs to eat brunch and watch the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice. For this most recent viewing, I stuck with the British theme and made cinnamon scones. Unfortunately, things didn't go as planned: the scones didn't make it to the brunch. Sometimes this happens because the baked goods are so delicious that I eat them all before the party. This time, though, it was because they weren't as good as I was hoping. They were fine for me, especially drizzled with coconut oil and extra cinnamon, but they weren't sharable. It was because I added chia seed powder which gave them a strange, spongy texture. Sometimes being "untamed" in the kitchen doesn't really work out...


They looked pretty, even though they didn't fluff up or get crispy on the outside. British scones are more like American biscuits--not as dry as American scones. I used this recipe as a basis for the scones. I'll try them again, without chia seeds and maybe do different add-ins (savory scones with rosemary or basil, lemon scones, coconut pecan scones...)

Instead of bringing the scones, I ended up making these chocolate muffins. I used quinoa flour in these (I'll post the recipe for these soon, but I need to remember the measurements first...)


We also didn't get a chance to swoon over Mr. Darcy or "take a turn about the room" this time around. Instead, we just caught up on each other's lives. It was a lovely morning. Miss Elizabeth Bennet isn't going anywhere, so next time we'll join her on a trip to Pemberley--maybe even on foot until the hem of our skirts are 6 inches deep in mud.

Cinnamon Scones
1 cup all purpose gluten free flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup quinoa flour
1 teaspoons baking powder
generous amount of cinnamon
1/8 tsp sea salt
3/4 cup almond milk
1 egg, beaten
1-2 tablespoons pure maple syrup


Preheat oven to 400F. Stir together dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the remaining ingredients, then add wet mixture to the dry ingredients and blend them together. The consistency should be be somewhat liquidy. If it's too stiff, add more almond milk. Then, spoon the "dough" onto a greased baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the outside starts to brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment