04 April 2011

Intense Chocolate Cake

This chocolate cake is not for the faint of heart.


If your definition of good chocolate includes this,
or these:

then you might not like this cake.

(No offense to Tootsie Rolls or hollow bunnies, but can they really be categorized as chocolate?
Is cocoa even listed as an ingredient?
Btw, I love how Tootsie has a page about "Healthy Living".)



When my friends and I were deciding the menu for our evening of cooking, I mentioned chocolate cake because I'd been wanting to try both Katie's recipe and Alex's recipe for quite some time. I'm really bad at making decisions when all options are good, so instead of choosing one recipe over the other, I did them both. I took the parts from each that I liked the most and combined them into one recipe.

My sugar eating friends who tried the cake said they liked it, but they might need to slowly work up to that intensity of chocolate. I loved it, but then again, I do eat 100% chocolate bars.

I'm constantly amazed at how my body doesn't crave sugar anymore--I just don't even want it. (And this is the same girl who used to come home from school in 6th grade and eat countless Twizzlers or one of those individual fruit snack pies while watching the Rosie O'Donnell Show. Everyday. Oh Rosie...)

If you don't want to feel bloated or sluggish after eating chocolate cake, give this a try. It's so good for you, that you can even eat it for breakfast!


Intense Dark Chocolate Cake

2 eggs

3/4 cup coconut milk (I used So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage)
1 tsp lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup pumpkin or sweet potato puree
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 cups almond meal

2 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1.5 tsp stevia powder (or to taste)


Preheat oven to 350F. Mix milk and lemon juice and let sit for at least 10 minutes. Stir together dry ingredients. Whisk eggs and add pumpkin puree and vanilla. Mix egg mixture with milk/lemon juice and then combine wet and dry ingredients. Batter should look like a thick chocolate pudding. Pour into greased muffin tin or round cake pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! Wish I could make it--I have everything but the almond meal :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom, you could try making Alex's version! It doesn't have almond meal. If you do, let me know how it turns out! I don't think she adds any sweetener, though, so you might want to add some stevia or something to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am soooo going to try this.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm! This looks good! My chocolate cake didn't have any flours in it, but I would LOVE to try this! More of an actual cake ;)

    ReplyDelete